August 7, 2021
Start of Autumn or Lì Qiū (Chinese: 立秋 ) is the first solar term of Autumn, and the thirteenth of the 24 traditional Chinese solar terms in a year. While this season marks the end of summer and the beginning of fall, the hot weather is not over. This period marks two important Chinese festivals: the Double Seventh Festival (Qixi Festival 七夕节), which is the traditional Chinese equivalent of “Valentine’s Day” on August 14, 2021, and The Ghost Festival, also known as the Zhongyuan Festival (中元节) in Taoism and Yulanpen Festival (盂兰盆节) in Buddhism, on August 22, 2021.
Here are some useful health cultivation tips for Start of Autumn (Lì Qiū):
1. During this time of year, the days are slowly growing shorter, and Yang-Qi, the functional aspect of the internal organs, also begins to gradually decline. Summer heat and dampness are the two main pathogenic factors. so be sure to take good care of the lungs, spleen, and stomach.
2. Be mindful of the diurnal temperature fluctuations that are common during this time of the year and dress appropriately. Avoid prolonged exposure to heat, as well as extended periods of time in very cold air-conditioned environments.
2. Clear heat and transfer dampness by adding some of the following foods to your diet: eggplant, lotus root, mung bean sprout, cucumber, bitter gourd.
3. Grapes can be wonderfully refreshing on a hot summer / early autumn day. They also benefit Qi and blood, generate body fluid, and help with detoxifying. Almonds make a great snack during this time of year, as they nourish the lungs and disperse stagnation
4. As soon as the heat and high temperatures fade, the focus of health cultivation shifts from clearing heat and dampness to harvesting essence in preparation for winter. The concept of ‘astringing’ will prevail through the entire autumn season, and will be further elaborated in the subsequent periods.
For more information on seasonal health cultivation, schedule an appointment with one of our student interns or licensed practitioners at the Yo San University Blount Community Clinic. Tele-health consultations are also offered by our experienced senior practitioners. Call today. 310.577.3006.