Ancient Wisdom and Modern Medicine from a Lineage of 38 Generations
We teach the highest standard of academics required for California and national TCM accreditation plus the ancient teachings and healing techniques that require a spiritual dimension to understand and practice.
How can we teach
the next generation of healers?
We can not stay the same.
We must be better each generation. That’s how a society can move forward, that’s how civilization can improve. And that is our goal.
Listen to a 30 second message from our co founder, Dr. Dao Shing Ni
Yo San is a Lineage-based School of Chinese Medicine
Yo San University was founded by brothers Dr. Daoshing Ni and Dr. Mao Shing Ni, who named the University after their grandfather, Master Yo-San Ni, a healer and teacher in the Taoist tradition. The Ni family enjoys a rare, unbroken lineage of 38 generations of Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners. YSU was established to carry on this lineage; to promote standards of educational excellence in the field of Traditional Chinese Medicine; and to establish a program in this country that fosters the medicine’s Taoist roots. The Ni brothers’ father, Master Hua-Ching Ni, a well-known practitioner and educator in Los Angeles, served as University Chancellor in the early years. Our first first class of eight students began their studies in January 1989.
From those modest beginnings, the University now has some 200 students in our Master’s and Doctoral degree programs. They come from around the globe and bring a richness of experience and perspective to every class. The Yo San University Community Clinic not only serves as a training center for our students, but also provides residents of the West Los Angeles area with affordable acupuncture and TCM.
Yo San University, a nonprofit organization, educates students to become exceptional practitioners of Traditional Chinese Medicine and the Taoist healing arts. The school facilitates the development of students’ spiritual and professional growth, and provides the community with an integrative medical care model and services.
Inspiring the next generation of healthcare
OUR CORE VALUES
Yo San University through its faculty and staff is committed to serving our students, the healthcare professions, and the community by fostering an environment that promotes:
- The Pursuit of excellence
- Compassion and care
- Awareness of Taoist principles: Self-reliance, Self-responsibility, Self-discipline.
- Cultivating and transforming lives
- Yo San University graduates demonstrate a thorough knowledge and understanding of the theories and principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Yo San University graduates will have acquired the clinical skills and; proficiency to competently evaluate patients using Traditional Chinese Medicine examination techniques, formulate a medical diagnosis and treatment strategy, and carry out the treatment in a skillful and professional manner.
- Yo San University graduates understand the importance of Qi-cultivation in Traditional Chinese Medicine, and demonstrate practical skills in the various techniques of Qi-cultivation.
- Yo San University graduates will have acquired the necessary skills to begin their professional practice and be able to effectively communicate, educate and work with the public in integrative medical care models.
- Yo San University graduates recognize the importance of conducting their practice in an ethical and professional manner, and engage in the practice of acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine within the appropriate federal and state legal requirements.
Yo San Legacy
Our founders Daoshing Ni and Mao Shing NI established Yo San University of Traditional Chinese Medicine to “pass on the teachings of their father, Hua-Ching Ni, their grandfather, Yo San Ni, and the ancient teachers of Chinese Medicine to future generations. Learn more about our history HERE.
Lawrence Lau, MD, MSOM, Dipl. Ac.(NCCAOM), L.Ac.
Lawrence Lau is President/CEO of Yo San University, and brings to YSU over twenty years of combined experience in academic affairs, curriculum development and integrative medicine. He graduated from allopathic medical school in Singapore, where he was in private practice for several years before moving to Hong Kong for advanced training. His interest in Traditional Chinese Medicine brought him to California, where he earned a master’s degree in Oriental Medicine from Samra University and obtained California acupuncture licensure. Lawrence joined Yo San University in 2001 as Dean of Clinical Education, and eventually assumed academic leadership responsibilities for both the MATCM program and overall clinical affairs.
A strong proponent of integrative evidence-based complementary approaches to patient care and wellness, Lawrence was instrumental in setting up various integrative clinical externship sites for Yo San University, including the Venice Family Integrative Chronic Pain Clinic collaboration (2006 – current), the Premiere Oncology Foundation/Yo San University Integrative Clinic program (2007-2011), the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA)/Yo San University Pediatric Acupuncture program (2009 – current), and the acupuncture wellness program at LAC+USC Medical Center Foundation’s Wellness Center at the Historic General Hospital (since 2016). Lawrence also teaches courses in Integrative Care and TCM Health Cultivation in both the Master’s and Doctoral degree programs at Yo San University, and maintains a private acupuncture practice at Yo San University.
Learn about the rest of our Administration HERE.