Yo San University History
Yo San University (YSU) was founded by two brothers,
Dr. Daoshing Ni and Dr. Mao Shing Ni, who named the University
after their grandfather, Master YoSan Ni, a healer and teacher
in the Taoist tradition. The Ni family enjoys a rare and unbroken
lineage of 38 generations of healers practicing Chinese Medicine.
The University was established to carry on this lineage; to
promote standards of educational excellence in the field of
Traditional Chinese Medicine; and to establish a program in
this country that fosters the Taoist roots of this field of medicine.
Their father, Master HuaChing Ni, a well known practitioner
and educator in Los Angeles, served as Chancellor in the early
years of development of the University.
The University enrolled its first class of 8 students in January
1989. The University was originally situated in a 2 story commercial building at 12304 Santa Monica Boulevard, Los Angeles. In
January 1992, YSU expanded its facilities and relocated to 1314
Second Street in Santa Monica. In August 2000, with a student
population of more than 100, the University moved to the present
facilities at 13315 West Washington Boulevard in the Culver
City/Marina del Rey area. The current location houses the
University as well as the Yo San University Community Clinic.
Yo San University’s degree of Master of Acupuncture and
Traditional Chinese Medicine (MATCM) gained accreditation
candidacy status with ACAOM (then NACSCAOM) in November,
1991 and was fully accredited in May of 1993. The University's Doctoral Program (DAOM) achieved accreditation candidacy status in 2011.